Consequences of Bullying

N. Sharma

Seventh and eighth grade students in Mrs. Ives’s PE/Health classes are learning about bullying. According to Google Definitions online, bullying is “using strength or influence to intimidate someone typically to make one do what one wants.” When students are bullied, they are often times bullied repeatedly. This bullying could result in depression and/or suicide. Bullying Suicide Statistics online says bullied victims are 7 to 9% more likely to consider suicide. “Suicide is the third leading cause of death” for children. According to the Center of Disease Control, bullying results in about 4,400 deaths per year. Yale University says half of the suicides among youth are related to bullying. If a loved one has been acting recklessly, has shown a lot of aggression, or has been sleeping too much or too little, they may be showing signs of depression. It’s important to pay attention to the signs.

Mystica Hunter, a seventh grader at PMS, said, “Students in this school use their words to bully. They don’t push or use physical contact.” She also said that students can help the bullies by talking to them and getting to know them. Some of these depressed, bullied or suicidal kids could be in this community! So, what are you going to do about it? Are you going to be the one to make a difference in the world? One act of courage could save a life.