MCTM Contest

M. Straub

The MCTM Contest, a math competition at the University of Montana for students in grades 7 – 11, took place March 1, 2016. Students competed against students from other regions in Montana

The top senior female and male are awarded a scholarship of $200 and are entered into the state competition with their scores making them eligible for the chance to receive an additional $500 scholarship. The top female this year to receive the scholarship was Julia Vonessen from Sentinel High and the top male was Alex Healy from Corvallis High. It was a great opportunity for everyone because the high schoolers could receive a scholarship and seventh and eighth graders get extra practice. Every participant who entered the competition had a chance to win prizes. Prizes consisted of $10-$100 gift cards, yo-yo’s, sticky hands, and much more.

Polson Middle School took 80 students to Missoula for the competition which was a slightly higher turnout compared to last year. According to Marie Stavish, MCTM Regional Math Contest Director, 1,250 kids from 33 schools participated. In between tests, kids got to take a break, eat, and explore the university. There was a $3 fee per participant which PMS usually pays.

Seventh grader Michael Smith was the only student that received a superior rating on all three tests he took. Eighteen 8th graders received a superior rating and twenty of them earned an honorable mention. Seven 7th graders earned a superior rating and eleven of them received an honorable mention. Join the MCTM math team next year. It will be on February 28, 2017.